IT security, also known as ‘cyber security’, can seem daunting with high tech acronyms and impenetrable terminology; it is little wonder most businesses feel it is beyond their reach or budget… but, it really isn’t!
Cyber security is defined as the protection of internet-connected computer systems and networks from cyber threats, theft or damage to their hardware, software and electronic data. With this in mind, how are you protecting your businesses IT systems?
Not having adequate IT security protection for your business is risky, especially in this current time where cyber security threats and attacks are becoming increasingly common.
The truth is that using 6 common sense and cost-effective cyber security steps, you can deter many cyber criminals from infiltrating and accessing your business’s computer systems.
The questions you should be asking yourself are:
- Are firewalls turned on and effectively configured?
- Do we limit what users can do on their PC’s or laptops?
- Do we always insist on “best practice” passwords, plus 2-factor authentication, where possible?
- Is your antivirus protection adequate?
- Are Windows, Office and other updates turned on and applied regularly?
- Do you inform and educate your staff on the risks?